29.1.08

windows tips and tricks: CAPS LOCK indicator


Atleast once a day we all curse CAPS LOCK (see i am right now) when we hit the Caps Lock key and go on typing without even realizing that we are typing all capitals.
wouldn't it be nice to set your computer up so it alerts you when you accidentally tap the Caps Lock key?

Here i will show you how to turn your computer into a signalman.

Using this tip you can make your computer beep when CAPS LOCK is ON.

  • goto Start
  • Settings,
  • Control Panel (or straight to control panel)
  • Accessibility Options
  • Keyboard tab,
  • Use Toggle Keys
now you will hear a beep everytime you turn ON CAPS LOCK.
This is a bit boring, isnt it?

Lets make it more interesting if you set properly windows can give you visual warnings when some particular predefined event takes place.(it can really do a lot of things if you just allow it to crash at its own will)
  • Accessibility Options
  • sound tab
  • use sound sentry
  • then from "choose the visual warning"
  • choose "Flash active window"
  • and you are done.
Now every time you hit CAPS LOCK you will experience brilliant beeping and flashing all around you.


2 comments :

Tweaks 4 Pc said...

Thanks for the nice tip. I sometimes press the caps-lock key without realizing it, so this will be a good way to let me know when I do.

Peter Ash said...

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't quite do what I need. I am still running XP and I have a new MS Wireless Comfort 5000 keyboard which I like, except it has no caps light indicator. I would be more than willing to give up a tiny bit of real estate on my screen for a caps lock state indicator. Blinking when the caps lock button is pressed doesn't tell me whether it is on or off.